Switching States? You Might Need New Insurance

by Miranda Marquit · 0 comments

I’m in the middle of a cross-country move, and one of the issues we are running into is insurance. You probably have a lot to think about when you move, and insurance is likely low on the list. However, it does need to be addressed.

This time, we are fortunate in that our insurance company is available in the new state. When we moved from Utah to New York more than 10 years ago, our auto insurance company wasn’t available, so we had to change companies altogether. When we moved back to Utah, we were happy to get back with the old insurance company.

I was a little concerned about moving to Pennsylvania, given the last time we moved East. However, after talking to my agent, I found out that I will be able to access the insurance company. We won’t have to change our coverage, and our premium will be similar to what we pay now. We will need a new insurance agent, though.

Insurance is Regulated By States

It’s important to understand that insurance is regulated mainly by the states. In order to operate in a state, an insurance company has to have all the proper paperwork. Additionally, insurance agents have to be properly licensed in a state. So, my Utah agent isn’t licensed for auto and homeowners/renters insurance in Pennsylvania. The good news is that my current agent was able to refer me to an agent in my new town, and this new agent has already contacted me.

This is great news for me, since it is making things easier. When you get ready to move states, it’s a good idea to look into the insurance situation ahead of time so that you know what needs to be done. That way, if you need to get insurance from a new company, you can start the process. (Be sure to comparison shop for insurance.)

I’m still going to do a quick comparison, but my new agent is probably who I’ll go with. He is putting together a quote, and I currently have a cash back program, and I’ve been told that it will seamlessly transfer. I like this, and a new insurer wouldn’t likely have the same program. So I’m happy that the new state allows me to stick with the same company, even though I need to switch agents.

Life Insurance

One of the exceptions is life insurance, though. While you might need to switch auto insurance, health insurance, and home/rental insurance providers, you probably won’t need to change life insurance providers. This is because life insurance is handled differently. We will keep everything the same for our life insurance policies. We just need to switch everything else.

Overall, getting insurance isn’t a huge deal when you move states. However, you will probably have to change things up in some way, unless your insurance agent is licensed in multiple states. But, since it can be expensive and time-consuming to get licensed, many insurance agents are reluctant to get multiple licenses. Just ask your current agent for help as you get ready to make your move.

Bonus Tip:

Another way to save on your monthly Internet and TV costs is to find a current ATT U-Verse coupon code or at least a promotion to knock down your home service bill.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: