Most people are conditioned these days to look to the marketplace for all the products they need. It isn’t surprising, since mass-manufactured products are cranked out in abundance and are widely available – and advertised. Consumers rarely question the price of items, their quality or ingredients. If marketing makes us want it, generally speaking, we will buy it without a second thought.
The consumerist mindset goes on to assume that mass-produced products are intrinsically “better” than what could be made by an individual. If you get in the habit of being curious about what’s in your favorite products, however, you may be surprised that their ingredients are common, inexpensive, and their formulations easy to recreate at home for pennies. Consider making some of the products you ordinarily buy – it’s a fun way to save on these common products while customizing them to suit your personal preferences.
Here’s a collection of some homemade concoctions that you can create from inexpensive ingredients you may well already have on hand – or can easily locate.
Around the House
Household Cleaning Products
Garbage Disposal Cleaner
DIY Disposal Cleaner
Recipe for Homemade Laundry Detergent
Laundry/Household Stain Remover
Homemade Miracle Cleaner
Non-Toxic Bathroom Cleaning and Homemade Soft Scrub Recipe
Hard Water Stain Remover
How to Remove Hard Water
Make Chalkboard Paint – Chalkboard Rocks
TV/Computer Monitor Cleaner Solution
Instructions: Mix equal parts Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and distilled water. Pour into a clean spray bottle. Wipe surfaces with a microfiber cloth.
Make-It-Yourself Fabric Refresher
- 1/8 cup fabric softener
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Hot tap water
- Empty large spray bottle
Instructions: Pour fabric softener and baking soda into spray bottle. Fill spray bottle with hot water and shake well.
How to Make 10 Natural Beauty Products
A Quick Fix for Oily Hair…”Dry Clean” It!
How To Make Your Own Pore Strips
How to Take a Detox Bath
Luxurious Homemade Lotion Recipe
Homemade Mosquito Repellent
DIY Protein Bars: Healthy Bars In 5 Easy Steps
Make Your Own Energy Drink!
Dog Shampoo Recipe with Dawn and Vinegar
Chewy Cat Treats for Cats
It takes a little time and effort to make these homemade concoctions but they yield a multitude of benefits, including:
- Most are made with common, mild ingredients that are not harmful to humans, pets or the environment.
- The ingredients are most likely already around your house or easily procured.
- You can control the ingredients, taking sensitivities, restrictions or allergies into account.
- You can customize their strength, fragrance, flavor and/or quantity to your own preferences.
- They can be as effective as their mass-produced counterparts.
- You are being environmentally responsible by eliminating the need for new package manufacturing by refilling existing containers every time you mix up a new batch of your homemade product.
- Best of all, they are far cheaper than similar commercially-produced products, freeing up more of your budget because, let’s face it, you’ve got better things to spend your hard-earned dollars on!
What products have you created at home instead of buying?